Savory beef shanks slow cooked to buttery soft tenderness.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 30 mins
- 2 beef shanks with marrow
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chianti wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- handful of fresh thyme
- 4 cups beef stock
- Bacon flavor bomb
- salt and pepper to taste
Gremolata Parsley Zest: Fresh zesty flavor
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Gremolata Parsley Zest:
- Mince garlic and fresh parsley.
- Then mix them together along with the lemon zest.
- Keep aside and sprinkle on top of the Osso Bucco prior to serving.
- Season beef shank with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to deep cast iron pan. Add bacon bomb to pan. Remove and keep the oil in the pan. Keep the cooked bacon on the side for later.
- Sear shanks on high heat-a couple of minutes each side. Remove shanks from pan and set aside.
- Finely chop onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute on medium heat until browned. Add cooked bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add wine to deglaze the pan. Cook for a few minutes until wine is reduced by half. Add tomato paste and stir.
- Return the shanks to the cast iron pan, add bay leaf, thyme, and add enough stock to cover meat.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a light simmer. Cover pan and leave the lid slightly ajar.
- Simmer on low heat for 4 hours until the meat begins to fall off the marrow bone.
- Remove meat and continue simmering the liquid, uncovered, until it has reduced into a sauce.
- Serve Osso Bucco with the reduced sauce and top off the marrow bone with the sauce and sprinkle parsley zest.
Inspired by: http://www.tasteofdivine.com/simple-osso-bucco/